Rick L. Lawrence
Professor, Director Spatial Sciences Center; Ph.D. 1998, M.S. 1995, Oregon State University; J.D. 1979, Columbia; B.A. 1976, Claremont McKenna College. Teaching and research programs in the use and application of remote sensing, geographic information systems, and spatial technologies in managed and natural ecosystems.
- Long, J.A., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, and L.A. Marshall. 2014. Changes in Field-Level Cropping Sequences: Indicators of Shifting Agricultural Practices. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 189:11-20.
- Porter, T.F., C. Chen, J.A. Long, R.L. Lawrence, and B.F. Sowell. 2014. Estimating biomass on CRP pastureland: A comparison of remote sensing techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy 66:268-274.
- Olexa, E.M., and R.L. Lawrence. 2014. Performance and effects of land cover type on synthetic surface reflectance data and NDVI estimates for assessment and monitoring of semi-arid rangeland. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 30:30-41.
- Johnson, J.E., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, P.W. Nugent, J.A. Hogan, L.M. Dobeck, and L.H. Spangler. 2014. Comparison of long-wave infrared imaging and visible/near-infrared imaging of vegetation for detecting leaking CO2 gas. IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 7:1-7.
- Vsevolozhskaya, O.A., M.A. Greenwood, G.J. Bellante, S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, and K.S. Repasky. 2013. Combining functions and the closure principle for performing follow-up tests in functional analysis of variance. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 67:175-184.
- Long J.A., R.L. Lawrence, M.C. Greenwood, L. Marshall, and P.R. Miller. 2013. Object-oriented crop classification using multitemporal ETM+ SLC-off imagery and random forest. GIScience & Remote Sensing 50:418-436.
- Lawrence, R.L., and J. Jewett. 2013. Remote sensing reveals relationships among whitebark pine, bark beetles and climate variability, pp. 66-67 in R.L. Dodge and R.G. Congalton, Meeting Environmental Challenges with Remote Sensing Imagery, American Geosciences Institute, Alexandria, VA.
- Bellante, G.J., S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, K.S. Repasky, T.A.O. Dougher. 2013. Aerial detection of a simulated CO2 leak from a geologic sequestration site using hyperspectral imagery. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 13:124-137.
- Johnson, J.E., J.A. Shaw, R. Lawrence, P.W. Nugent, L.M. Dobeck, and L.H. Spangler. 2012. Long-wave infrared imaging of vegetation for detecting leaking CO2 gas. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 6:063612-1-9.
- Hogan, J.A., J.A. Shaw, and R.L. Lawrence. 2012. Detection of leaking CO2 gas with vegetation reflectances measured by a low-cost multi-spectral imager. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 5:699-706.
- Savage, S., R. Lawrence, S. Custer, J. Jewett, S. Powell, and J. Shaw. 2012. Analyzing change in Yellowstone’s terrestrial emittance with Landsat imagery. GIScience and Remote Sensing 49:317-345.
- Hogan, J.A., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, and R.M. Larimer. 2012. Low-cost multispectral imaging system for detecting leaking CO2 gas. Applied Optics 51:A59-A66.
- Baril, L.M., A.J. Hansen, R. Renkin, and R.L. Lawrence, 2011. Bird response to increased willow (Salix spp.) growth in Yellowstone's Northern Range Ecological Applications 21:2283-2296.
- Landenberger, R., M. Patterson, R. Sivanpillai, and R. Lawrence, 2011. AmericaView: Promoting remote sensing science and technology through cooperative partnerships. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 77:969-974.
- Jewett, J., R. Lawrence, L. Marshall, P. Gessler, S. Powell, and S. Savage. 2011. Spatiotemporal relationships between climate and whitebark pine mortality in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Forest Science 57:320-335.
- Campos, J., R. Lawrence, B. McGlynn, and K. Gardner. 2011. Using Quickbird and Landsat imagery to analyze temporal changes in mountain resort development: Big Sky, Montana 1990-2005. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 5:053541.
- Watts, J.D., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, and C. Montagne, 2011. An estimation of soil carbon sequestration resulting from no-till, cropping intensity, and conservation reserve practices with north central Montana. Climate Change 108:301-331.
- Savage, S., R. Lawrence, S. Custer, J. Jewett, S. Powell, and J. Shaw. 2010. Review of alternative methods for estimating terrestrial emittance and geothermal heat flux for Yellowstone National Park using Landsat imagery. GIScience and Remote Sensing 47:460-479.
- Watts, J.D., S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, and T. Hilker. 2010. Conservation tillage classification through Random Forest analyses using high temporal Landsat, MODIS, and STARFM-derived synthetic Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 115:66-75.
- Campos, N., R. Lawrence, B. McGlynn, and K. Gardner, 2010. Effects of LiDAR-Quickbird Fusion on Object-oriented classification of Mountain Resort Development. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 4:043556.
- Seielstad, G.A., D.E. Clay, K. Dalsted, R.L. Lawrence, D.R. Olsen, and Z. Zhang, 2010. Providing Precision Crop and Range Protection in the U.S. Northern Great Plains, pp. 367-384 in Precision Crop Protection--the Challenge and Use of Heterogeneity, E. Oerke, R. Gerhards, G. Menz, and R Sikora, editors. Springer Verlag, New York.
- Powell, S.L., R.L. Lawrence, C. Sommers Austin, and S. Driscoll, 2010. A flexible approach to help overcome limitation of moderate resolution satellite imagery for mapping invasive saltcedar on the Bighorn River, Montana. Journal of Terrestrial Observation 2(2):4.
- Savage, S., and R. Lawrence, 2010. Vegetation dynamics in Yellowstone’s northern range: 1985-1999. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 76:547-556.
- Rouse, J.H., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, J.L. Lewicki, L.M. Dobeck, K.S. Repasky, and L.H. Spangler, 2010. Multi-spectral imaging of vegetation for detecting CO2 leaking from underground. Environmental Earth Sciences 60:313-323.
- Bioenergy Alliance Network for the Rockies, USDA. 2013-2018. $663,494.
- Mapping Lynx Habitat with Landsat and Radarsat Imagery. USFS. 2012-2017. $348,000
- Big Sky Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership PHASE III: Terrestrial Sequestration. DOE. 2011-2014. $100,000
- Big Sky Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership PHASE III: Geologic Sequestration. DOE. 2011-2019. $280,000
- StateView Program for the State of Montana. USGS. 2013-2018. $125,000
Current Instructional Responsibilities:
- GPHY 426 - Remote Sensing & Digital Image Processing (Fall)
- NRSM 430/LRES 530 - Natural Resource Law (Spring)
- GPHY 429/LRES 525 - Applied Remote Sensing (Spring)