Rick L. Lawrence
Professor, Director Spatial Sciences Center; Ph.D. 1998, M.S. 1995, Oregon State University; J.D. 1979, Columbia; B.A. 1976, Claremont McKenna College. Teaching and research programs in the use and application of remote sensing technologies in managed and natural ecosystems.
- Hogan, J.A., J.A. Shaw, and R.L. Lawrence. 2012. Detection of leaking CO2 gas with vegetation reflectances measured by a low-cost multi-spectral imager. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 5:699-706.
- Savage, S., R. Lawrence, S. Custer, J. Jewett, S. Powell, and J. Shaw. 2012. Analyzing change in Yellowstone’s terrestrial emittance with Landsat imagery. GIScience and Remote Sensing 49:317-345.
- Hogan, J.A., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, and R.M. Larimer. 2012. Low-cost multispectral imaging system for detecting leaking CO2 gas. Applied Optics 51:A59-A66.
- Baril, L.M., A.J. Hansen, R. Renkin, and R.L. Lawrence, 2011. Bird response to increased willow (Salix spp.) growth in Yellowstone's Northern Range Ecological Applications 21:2283-2296.
- Landenberger, R., M. Patterson, R. Sivanpillai, and R. Lawrence, 2011. AmericaView: Promoting remote sensing science and technology through cooperative partnerships. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 77:969-974.
- Jewett, J., R. Lawrence, L. Marshall, P. Gessler, S. Powell, and S. Savage. 2011. Spatiotemporal relationships between climate and whitebark pine mortality in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Forest Science 57:320-335.
- Campos, J., R. Lawrence, B. McGlynn, and K. Gardner. 2011. Using Quickbird and Landsat imagery to analyze temporal changes in mountain resort development: Big Sky, Montana 1990-2005. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 5:053541.
- Watts, J.D., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, and C. Montagne, 2011. An estimation of soil carbon sequestration resulting from no-till, cropping intensity, and conservation reserve practices with north central Montana. Climate Change 108:301-331.
- Savage, S., R. Lawrence, S. Custer, J. Jewett, S. Powell, and J. Shaw. 2010. Review of alternative methods for estimating terrestrial emittance and geothermal heat flux for Yellowstone National Park using Landsat imagery. GIScience and Remote Sensing 47:460-479.
- Watts, J.D., S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, and T. Hilker. 2010. Conservation tillage classification through Random Forest analyses using high temporal Landsat, MODIS, and STARFM-derived synthetic Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 115:66-75.
- Campos, N., R. Lawrence, B. McGlynn, and K. Gardner, 2010. Effects of LiDAR-Quickbird Fusion on Object-oriented classification of Mountain Resort Development. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 4:043556.
- Seielstad, G.A., D.E. Clay, K. Dalsted, R.L. Lawrence, D.R. Olsen, and Z. Zhang, 2010. Providing Precision Crop and Range Protection in the U.S. Northern Great Plains, pp. 367-384 in Precision Crop Protection--the Challenge and Use of Heterogeneity, E. Oerke, R. Gerhards, G. Menz, and R Sikora, editors. Springer Verlag, New York.
- Powell, S.L., R.L. Lawrence, C. Sommers Austin, and S. Driscoll, 2010. A flexible approach to help overcome limitation of moderate resolution satellite imagery for mapping invasive saltcedar on the Bighorn River, Montana. Journal of Terrestrial Observation 2(2):4.
- Savage, S., and R. Lawrence, 2010. Vegetation dynamics in Yellowstone’s northern range: 1985-1999. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 76:547-556.
- Rouse, J.H., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, J.L. Lewicki, L.M. Dobeck, K.S. Repasky, and L.H. Spangler, 2010. Multi-spectral imaging of vegetation for detecting CO2 leaking from underground. Environmental Earth Sciences 60:313-323.
- Keith, C.J., K.S. Repasky, R.L. Lawrence, S.C. Jay, and J.L. Carlsten, 2009. Monitoring effects of a controlled subsurface carbon dioxide release on vegetation using a hyperspectral imager. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 3:626-632.
- Watts, J.D., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, and C. Montagne, 2009. Monitoring of cropland practices for carbon sequestration purposes in north central Montana using Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 113:1843–1852.
- Legleiter, C., D. Roberts, and R. Lawrence, 2009. Validation and optimization of a spectrally-based algorithm for passive optical remote sensing of gravel-bed river bathymetry. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 34:1039-1059.
- Sankey, J.B., D.J. Brown, M.L. Bernard, and R.L. Lawrence, 2008. Comparing local vs. global visible and near-infrared (VisNIR) diffuse reflectance spectroscopy (DRS) calibrations for the prediction of soil clay, organic C and inorganic C. Geoderma 148:149-158.
- Landenburger, L., R.L. Lawrence, S. Podruzny, and C.C. Schwartz, 2008. Mapping regional distribution of a single tree species: Whitebark pine in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Sensors 8:4983-4994. Sankey, J.B., R.L. Lawrence, and J.M. Wraith, 2008. Ad hoc modeling of root zone soil water with Landsat imagery and terrain and soils data. Sensors 8:314-326.
- Mapping Lynx Habitat with Landsat and Radarsat Imagery. USFS. $100,000
- Effects of land use and land cover change on tribal lands in the northern plains. NASA. 2009-2012. $140,000
- Big Sky Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership PHASE III: Terrestrial Sequestration. DOE. 2011-2014. $100,000
- Big Sky Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership PHASE III: Geologic Sequestration. DOE. 2011-2019. $280,000
- StateView Program for the State of Montana. USGS. 2008-2012. $100,000
Current Instructional Responsibilities:
- GPHY 426 - Remote Sensing & Digital Image Processing (Fall)
- NRSM 430/LRES 530 - Natural Resource Law (Spring)
- GPHY 429/LRES 525 - Applied Remote Sensing (Spring)