Bruce D. Maxwell
Professor; Ph.D. 1990, Oregon State University; M.S. 1984, B.S. 1977, Montana State University. Agroecology and weed biology research on the design and development of sustainable production systems and adaptive management strategies for annual and perennial weeds in crop and natural ecosystems. Includes modeling and identifying measures of invasive plant population dynamics and impacts, crop-weed competition, herbicide resistance evolution and economic thresholds of weeds.
- Egan, F.L., B.D. Maxwell, D.A. Mortensen, M.R. Ryan and R.G. Smith. 2011. 2,4-D resistant crops and the potential for evolution of 2,4-D resistant weeds. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 108:E37.
- Davis, P.B., F.D. Menalled, R.K. Peterson and B.D. Maxwell. 2011. Refinement of weed risk assessment for biofuels using Camalina sativa as a model species. J. Applied Ecol. 48:989-997
- Rinella, M.J., B.D. Maxwell, P.K. Fay, T. Weaver, and R.Sheley. 2009. Control effort exacerbates invasive species problem. Ecol. Applications. 19:155-162.
- Maxwell, B.D., E.A. Lehnhoff and L.J. Rew. 2009. The rationale for monitoring invasive plant populations as a crucial step for management. Invasive Plant Science & Management 2: 1-9.
- Maxwell, B.D. and J. T. O’Donovan. 2007. Understanding weed-crop interactions to manage weed problems. Pp. 17-33 In M.K. Upadhyaya and R.E. Blackshaw (Eds) Non-chemical Weed Management. CAB International. Cambridge, MA.
- Parks CG, Radosevish SR, Endress BA, Naylor BJ, Anzinger D, Rew LJ, Maxwell BD & Dwire KA. 2005. Natural and land use history of the Northwest Mountainous Ecoregions (U.S.A.) in relation to patterns of plant invasions. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics. 7:137-158.
- Rew, L.J., Maxwell, B.D., Dougher, F.D., Aspinall, R. 2006. Searching for a needle in a haystack: evaluating survey methods for sessile species. Biological Invasions 8:523-539
- Maxwell, B.D. and E. Luschei. 2004. The ecology of crop-weed interactions: Toward a more complete model of weed communities in agroecosystems. Journal of Crop Improvement 11:137-154.
- Whitlock, C., D. Aig, B. Maxwell, D. McWethy. WildFIRE PIRE: Feedbacks and consequences of altered fire regimes in the face of climate and land-use change in Tasmania, New Zealand, and the western U.S. NSF-PIRE. 2010. 5 yr. $4,176,030
- Rew, L. and B. Maxwell. Prioritizing invasive non-native plant populations and species to manage using spatial distribution and spread models. US Fish and Wildlife Service. 2010. 5 yr. $25,000.
- Maxwell, B. and C. Zabinski. Nutritional value of locally grown vegetables: determining management effects and marketing potential. Montana Department of Agriculture. 2010 1 yr. $33,409.
- Maxwell, B., P. Miller, C. Zabinski and D. Buschena. Understanding carbon dynamics: Agronomic, socioeconomic, and biophysical tradeoffs in the sustainability of multifunctional cropping systems in the Northern Great Plains. USDA–AFRI LTAP Proof of Concept. 2009. 2 yr. $199,980.
- Rew, L.J., J. Antle, B. Maxwell and J. DiTomaso. A decision support prioritization framework for non-indigenous plant population management. USDA-NRI. 2009. 3 yr. $490,987.
- Maxwell, B. L.J. Rew and V. Backus. Invasive plant inventory, mapping and management tools for army training lands. USDOD-CERL, Installation Division. 2009. 3 yr. $793,039.
- Rew, L.J., B. Maxwell, M. Lavin. Survey, monitoring and predicting the occurrence and spread of native and non-native plants species at Idaho National Laboratories. USDOE Stoller Corporation. 2009. 2 yr. $244,064.
- Harmon, A., W. Dyer, B. Maxwell, C. Perillo, J. Johnson-Maynard. Development, Integration and Assessment of Food and Agricultural Systems Education. USDA-Higher ducation Challenge Grant. 2008. 3 yr. $475,888.
Current Instructional Responsibilities:
- LRES 443 – Weed Ecology & Management (Fall)
- LRES 543 – Agroecology/Applied Plant Ecology (Spring, even years)
- LRES 569 – Ecology of Invasive Plant Species in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (Summer)
- LRES 528 – Bridging Principles and Practice of Sustainable Cropping Systems (Fall, odd years)