Professor; Ph.D. 1990, McGill University; B.S. 1984, Dalhousie University. Chemical ecology and behavior, biological control, plant-insect interactions, and spatial ecology. Research includes plant and insect semiochemical interactions, biological control of insects and weeds in agricultural and rangeland communities, host plant resistance, and stored-product entomology.
- Beres, B. L., L. M. Dosdall, D. K. Weaver, D. M. Spaner and H. A. Carcamo. 2011. The biology and integrated management of wheat stem sawfly, Cephus cinctus (Hymenoptera: Cephidae), and the need for continuing research. C. P. Alexander Review Series. Canadian Entomologist. 143: 105-125.
- Goodwin, K. M., R. E. Engel, and D. K. Weaver. 2010. Detection dogs outperform human surveyors in the detection of rare spotted knapweed (Centaurea stoebe). Invasive Plant Science and Management. 3: 113-121.
- Stadler, T., Buteler, M., and D. K. Weaver. 2010. Novel use of nanostructured alumina as an insecticide. Pest Management Science. 66: 577-579.
- Delaney, K. J., D. K. Weaver, and R. K. D. Peterson. 2010. Wheat photosynthesis and yield reductions: wheat stem sawfly (Hymenoptera: Cephidae) herbivory interacts with abiotic conditions and host plant resistance. Journal of Economic Entomology. 103: 516-524.
- Sherman, J. D.,D. K. Weaver, M. Hofland, S.E. Sing, M. Buteler, S. P. Lanning, Y. Naruoka, N. K. Blake, J. M. Martin, P. F. Lamb, G. R. Carlson, and L. E. Talbert. 2010. Identification of novel QTL for sawfly resistance in wheat. Crop Science. 50: 73-86.
- Buteler, M., D. K. Weaver, and R. K. D. Peterson. 2009. Exploring the oviposition behavior of the wheat stem sawfly when encountering plants infested with cryptic conspecifics. Environmental Entomology. 38: 1707-1715.
- Weaver, D. K., M. Buteler, M. L. Hofland, J. B. Runyon, C. Nansen, L. E. Talbert, P. Lamb, and G. R. Carlson. 2009. Cultivar preferences of ovipositing wheat stem sawflies as influenced by the amount of volatile attractant. Journal of Economic Entomology. 102: 1009-1017.
- Wenda-Piesik, A.,Z. Sun, W. E. Grey, D. K. Weaver, and W. L. Morrill. 2009. Mycoses of wheat stem sawfly (Hymenoptera: Cephidae) larvae by Fusarium spp. isolates. Environmental Entomology. 38: 387-394.
- Nansen, C., T. B. Macedo, R. M. Swanson, and D. K. Weaver. 2009. Use of spatial structure analysis of hyperspectral data cubes for detection of insect-induced stress in wheat plants. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 30: 2447-2464.
- Establishing Mecinus janthinus insectaries on yellow toadflax. USDA, APHIS, PPQ, SCA. P.I. January 1, 2010 – December 31, 2011. $37,921.
- Chemical ecology of plant-insect interactions for biological control of weeds. USDA, Forest Service, RMRS, JVA. Lead P.I. with J. B. Runyon. September 15, 2009 – July 31, 2012. $18,750.
- Exploiting antixenosis in wheat blends for improved pest management. USDA, CSREES, AFRI. Lead P.I. with J.E. Sherman and L.E. Talbert. October 1, 2009 – December 31, 2012. $320,500.
- Research and extension on the integrated management of wheat stem sawfly, Fusarium crown rot, and grassy weeds in the Northern Great Plains. USDA, CSREES, RAMP. Co-P.I. with F. D. Menalled, A. T. Dyer, R. D. Smith, D. M. Woods, E. D. Eriksmoen, J. M. Alvarez, and J. M. Windes. October 1, 2007 – September 30, 2011. $425,880.
- Grower-based selection of varieties and systems for wheat stem sawfly suppression. USDA, CSREES, Western SARE Program. Co-P.I. with L. E. Talbert, W. T. Lanier, G. R. Carlson, G. D. Kushnak, and J. M. Martin. December 1, 2007 – November 30, 2010. $125,000.
Current Instructional Responsibilities:
- AGSC 401 – Integrated Pest Management (Fall, each year)
- ENTO 520 – Insect Physiology (Fall, Even years)