Research Scientist, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Ecology & Environmental Sciences 2014, M.S. Ecological & Environmental Statistics 2010, Montana State University; B.S. Mathematics 2008, State University of New York. Natural environmental systems and coupled human-environment systems respond in a variety of ways to external forcings, which are often related to climate or human-induced pressures. My research interests are focused on investigating changes and impacts in these systems from a mathematical perspective.
- Long, J.A. & Stoy, P.C. (2014). Peak tornado activity is occurring earlier in the heart of “Tornado Alley”. Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 6259–6264. [doi:10.1002/2014GL061385].
- Long, J.A., Lawrence, R.L., Miller, P.R., Marshall, L.A., & Greenwood, M.C. (2014). Adoption of cropping sequences in northeast Montana: A spatio-temporal analysis. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 197, 77–87. [doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2014.07.022].
- Porter, T.F., Chen, C, Long, J.A., Lawrence, R.L. & Sowell, B.F. (2014). Estimating biomass on CRP pastureland: A comparison of remote sensing techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy, 66, 268–274. [doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.01.036].
- Long, J.A., Lawrence, R.L., Marshall L., & Miller, P.R. (2014). Changes in field-level cropping sequences: Indicators of shifting agricultural practices. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 189, 11–20. [doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2014.03.015].
- Long, J.A, Lawrence, R.L., Greenwood, M.C., Marshall, L. & Miller, P.R. (2013). Object-oriented crop classification using multitemporal ETM+ SLC-off Imagery and Random Forest. GIScience and Remote Sensing, 50(4), 418–436. [doi: 10.1080/15481603.2013.817150].
- Beever, E.A., Dobrowski, S.Z., Long, J. Mynsberge, A.R., & Piekielek, N.B. (2013). Understanding relationships among abundance, extirpation, and climate at ecoregional scales. Ecology, 94(7), 1563–1571. [doi: 10.1890/12-2174.1].
- Long, J.A. & Stoy, P.C. (2013). Quantifying the periodicity of Heinrich and Dansgaard-Oeschger events during Marine Isotope Stage 3. Quaternary Research, 79(3), 103–113. [doi: 10.1016/j.yqres.2013.02.003].
- LRES 534 - Introduction to Environmental Data Analysis