Richard E. Engel
Associate Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. 1983, University of Minnesota; M.S. 1978, North Dakota State University; B.S. 1975, University of Maine. Soil nutrient management and nutrient cycling. Current research interests include investigations of fertilizer management strategies for enhancing N recovery by crops using 15N enriched labelled fertilizers; soil emissions of greenhouse gases (nitrous oxide, methane, and carbon dioxide) as affected by cropping systems; soil carbon sequestration and characterization of dissolved organic matter in croplands; urea-fertilizer induced emissions of ammonia and mitigation with urease inhibitors; and soil acidification and aluminum toxicity of Montana soils.
- Engel, R., Romero, C., Jones, C. and Wallander, R. 2017. Late-fall, winter and spring broadcast applications of urea to no-till winter wheat I. Ammonia loss and mitigation by NBPT. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 81 (in press).
- Romero, C., Engel, R., Chen, C., Wallander, R., Jones, C. 2017. Late-fall, winter and spring broadcast applications of urea to no-till winter wheat II. Fertilizer N recovery, yield and protein as affected by NBPT. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 81 (in press).
- Engel, R., Miller, P., McConkey, B., Wallander, R., Holmes, J. 2017/ Soil organic C changes to ten years of increasing cropping system intensity and no-till in a semiarid climate of the northern Great Plains. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 81 (in press)
- Long, D., McCallum, J., Reardon, C., Engel, R. 2017. Nitrogen requirement to change protein concentration of spring wheat in semiarid Pacific Northwest. Agron. J. 109 (in press).
- Engel, R., Gravens, E., Towey, B. D. 2015. Degradation of the urease inhibitor NBPT as affected by soil pH. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J 79:1674-1683.
- Ehlert, K. A., Engel, R., Mangold, J. 2015. Imazapic activity in a semiarid climate at downy brome (Bromus tectorum)-infested rangeland and CRP sites. Weed Technology 29:472-479.
- Long, D., Whitmus, J., Engel, R., Brester, G. 2015. Net Returns from Terrain-based Variable-Rate Nitrogen Management. Agronomy Journal 107:1055-1067.
- Miller, P., Bekkerman, A., Jones, C., Burgess, M., Holmes, J. A., Engel, R. 2015. Pea in rotation with wheat reduced uncertainty of economic returns in southwest Montana. Agron. J. 107:541-550.
- Romero, C. M., Engel, R., Chen, C., Wallander, R. 2015. Microbial Immobilization of Nitrogen-15-Labeled Ammonium and Nitrate in an Agricultural Soil from Central Montana. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J 79:595-602.
- 2017: $18, 672. Engel, R. Evaluation of Koch Agronomic Services’ (“KSA”) experimental urease inhibitor KAS_060K001 (K32) for control of NH3 volatilization from urea fertilizers over a soil pH gradient. Koch Agronomic Services.
- 2016: $12,980. Engel, R., Carr, P., Jones, C. Understanding acidification and management of Montana soils. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. July 1, 2016-June 30, 2017.
- 2016: $56,275. Engel, R., Jones, C., Perry, M. Fertilizer management strategies for enhanced N recovery and reducing N losses in no-till wheat. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee.
- 2016: $9,000. Engel, R. Pushing the limits of fertilizer N recovery in a semiarid climate with improved N management. Internal Plant Nutrition Institute.
- 2014: $499,990. Menalled, F., Lehnhoff, E., Bekkerman, A. Burrows, M., Engel, R., Gedeon, T., Glunk, E., Hatfield, P., Miller, P., Miller, Z. Assessing the resiliency of integrated crop-livestock organic systems in water-limited environments under current and predicted climate