Assistant Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. 2003 University of California, Davis; B.A. 1989 Dartmouth College. Soil-landscape research and education. Interests include geoscience education, plant-soil interactions, soil respiration, nutrient cycling, land rehabilitation, global change.
- Nakase, D.K., A.S. Hartshorn, K.A. Spielman, S.J. Hall. In prep. Eolian deposition and soil fertility in a prehistoric agricultural complex in central Arizona. Geoarchaeology.
- J.L. Dixon, A.S. Hartshorn, A.M. Heimsath, R.A. DiBiase, K.X. Whipple. 2012. Chemical weathering response to tectonic forcing: A soils perspective from the San Gabriel Mountains, California. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 323-324: 40-49.
- Effects of organic matter manipulations on soil respiration rates from a loblolly pine plantation. Weyerhaeuser Corporation, $25,000. July 2011-December 2012.
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- ENSC 245–Soils; Fall semesters
- ENSC 460–Land rehabilitation; Spring semesters