Clain A. Jones
Associate Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Soil Chemistry, Montana State University, 1998; M.S. in Environmental Engineering and Science, University of Washington, 1988; B.S. in Agricultural Engineering, Cornell University, 1986. Developing educational resources and materials on soil fertility and nutrient management for county agents, crop advisers, producers, and other agricultural professionals; current primary research emphasis on soil fertility in cropping systems, nutrient management in conservation tillage systems, and soil testing.
- O’Dea, J., C. Jones, C. Zabinski, P.R. Miller, and I. Keren. 2015. Legume and cropping intensity effects on selected soil quality attributes after eight years in a dryland wheat agroecosystem. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. doi: 10.1007/s10705-015-9687-4
- Miller, P., C. Jones, Burgess, M., R. Engel, and A. Bekkerman. 2015. Pea in rotation with wheat reduced uncertainty of economic returns in southwest Montana. Agronomy Journal. 107(2): 541-550. doi:10.2134/agronj14.0185.
- Burgess, M., P. Miller, C. Jones, and A. Bekkerman. 2014. Tillage of legume green manure affects dryland spring wheat yield. Agronomy Journal. 106:1497-1508. Doi:10.2.134/agronj14.0007.
- Olson-Rutz, K. and C. Jones. 2014. Soil nutrient management for forages: Nitrogen. EB0213. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 8 pp.
- Olson-Rutz, K. and C. Jones. 2014. Soil nutrient management for forages: Phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and micronutrients. EB0214. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 8 pp.
- Jones, C., B. Brown, R. Engel, D. Horneck, and K. Olson-Rutz. 2013. Factors affecting nitrogen fertilizer volatilization. EB0208. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 6 p.
- Jones, C., B. Brown, R. Engel, D. Horneck, and K. Olson-Rutz. 2013. Management to minimize nitrogen fertilizer volatilization. EB0209. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 5 p.
- Engel, R.E., C. Jones, and R. Wallander. 2013. Ammonia volatilization losses were small after mowing field peas in dry conditions. Can. J. Soil Sci. 93:239-242.
- O’Dea, J.K., P.R. Miller, and C.A. Jones. 2013. Greening summerfallow with no-till legume green manures in dryland wheat agroecosystems: An on-farm assessment in north-central Montana. J Soil Water Conserv. 68:270-282.
- 2014: $5,240 - Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Determining the long-term effects of diversified no-till cropping systems on nutrient uptake and availability. PIs: C. Jones and P. Miller.
- 2014: $36,090- Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Long-Term N Management in Alternative Crop Rotations (continuation). PIs: P. Miller, C. Jones, C. Bekkerman, E. Doheny and C. Larson.
- 2014: $52,511 - Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Fertilizer Management Strategies for Enhanced N Recovery and Reducing N Losses in No-till Wheat. R. Engel, P. Miller, and C. Jones.
- 2013: $71,594 - Risk Management Agency. Education Partnership Program. Reducing Risks from the Adoption of Cover Cropping Practice in Montana. PIs: J. Schahczenski, A. Pressman, and D. Scott. C. Jones is listed as a subcontractor.
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- ENSC 353 - Environmental Biogeochemistry