Clain A. Jones
Associate Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Soil Chemistry, Montana State University, 1998; M.S. in Environmental Engineering and Science, University of Washington, 1988; B.S. in Agricultural Engineering, Cornell University, 1986. Developing educational resources and materials on soil fertility and nutrient management for county agents, crop advisers, producers, and other agricultural professionals; current primary research emphasis on soil fertility in cropping systems, nutrient management in conservation tillage systems, and soil testing.
- Sigler, W.A., S.A. Ewing, C.A. Jones. R.A. Payn, E.N.J. Brookshire, J.K. Klassen, D. Jackson-Smith, and G.S. Weissmann. 2017. Connections among soil, ground, and surface water chemistries characterize nitrogen loss from an agricultural landscape in the upper Missouri River basin. Journal of Hydrology. In press.
- John, A.A., C.A. Jones, S.A. Ewing, W.A. Sigler, A. Bekkerman, and P.R. Miller. 2017. Fallow replacement and nitrogen management for reducing nitrate leaching in a semiarid region. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 108:279-296. doi: 10.1007/s10705-017-9855-9.
- Engel R., C. Jones, C.M. Romero, R. Wallander. 2017. Late fall, winter and spring broadcast applications of urea to no-till winter wheat I. Ammonia loss and mitigation by NBPT. Soil Science Society of America Journal 81:322-330. doi:10.2136/sssaj2016.10.0332.
- Romero C.M., R.E. Engel, C. Chen, R. Wallander, C. A. Jones. 2017. Late fall, winter and spring broadcast applications of urea to no-till winter wheat II. Fertilizer N recovery, yield and protein as affected by NBPT. Soil Science Society of America Journal 81:331-340. doi:10.2136/sssaj2016.10.0333.
- McCauley, A., Jones, C., and K. Olson-Rutz. 2017. Soil pH and Organic Matter. Nutrient Management Module 8. 4449-8. Extensive revision. MSU Extension. Bozeman, MT. 12 p.
- Jones, C., and K. Olson-Rutz. 2016. Soil Nutrient Management for Canola. EB0224. MSU Extension. Bozeman, MT. 12 p.
- Jones, C., J. Jacobsen, and K. Olson-Rutz. 2016. Plant Nutrition and Soil Fertility. Nutrient Management Module 2. MSU 4449-2. Extensive revision. MSU Extension. Bozeman, MT. 12 p.
- O’Dea, J., C. Jones, C. Zabinski, P.R. Miller, and I. Keren. 2015. Legume and cropping intensity effects on selected soil quality attributes after eight years in a dryland wheat agroecosystem. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. doi: 10.1007/s10705-015-9687-4
- Miller, P., C. Jones, Burgess, M., R. Engel, and A. Bekkerman. 2015. Pea in rotation with wheat reduced uncertainty of economic returns in southwest Montana. Agronomy Journal. 107(2): 541-550. doi:10.2134/agronj14.0185.
- Burgess, M., P. Miller, C. Jones, and A. Bekkerman. 2014. Tillage of legume green manure affects dryland spring wheat yield. Agronomy Journal. 106:1497-1508. Doi:10.2.134/agronj14.0007.
- Olson-Rutz, K. and C. Jones. 2014. Soil nutrient management for forages: Nitrogen. EB0213. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 8 pp.
- Olson-Rutz, K. and C. Jones. 2014. Soil nutrient management for forages: Phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and micronutrients. EB0214. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 8 pp.
- Jones, C., B. Brown, R. Engel, D. Horneck, and K. Olson-Rutz. 2013. Factors affecting nitrogen fertilizer volatilization. EB0208. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 6 p.
- Jones, C., B. Brown, R. Engel, D. Horneck, and K. Olson-Rutz. 2013. Management to minimize nitrogen fertilizer volatilization. EB0209. MSU Extension. Bozeman MT. 5 p.
- Engel, R.E., C. Jones, and R. Wallander. 2013. Ammonia volatilization losses were small after mowing field peas in dry conditions. Can. J. Soil Sci. 93:239-242.
- O’Dea, J.K., P.R. Miller, and C.A. Jones. 2013. Greening summerfallow with no-till legume green manures in dryland wheat agroecosystems: An on-farm assessment in north-central Montana. J Soil Water Conserv. 68:270-282.
- Engel, R., P. Carr, C. Jones, and S. Powell. 2017. Soil acidity management of long-term no-till fields in Montana to prevent crop failure. USDA Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education. Apr 1 2017 to Mar 31 2020. $264,015.
- Norton, J., C. Youngquist, B. Lee, C. Jones, and B. Bauer. 2017. Climate resilient irrigated crop rotations in Wyoming and Montana. Northern Plains Climate Hub. $15,000.
- Engel, R., C. Jones, and P. Carr. 2017. Understanding acidification and management of Montana soils. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. July 1 2017 – June 30 2018. $29,000.
- Jones, C., S. Ewing, P. Miller, and W.A. Sigler. 2017. Fallow replacement and nitrogen rate effects on nitrate leaching, yield, and quality. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Jul 1 2017 to June 30 2018. $7,300.
- Miller, P., C. Jones, C. Zabinski, and M. Bourgault. 2017. Advancing cover crop knowledge in Montana: Soil Fertility Implications. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Jul 1 2017 to June 30 2018. $48,927.
- Miller, P., C. Jones, A. Bekkerman, and R. Engel. 2017. Long-term N management in alternative crop rotations. Montana Fertilizer Advisory Committee. Jul 1 2016 to June 30 2017. $30,448.
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- ENSC 353 - Environmental Biogeochemistry