Rick L. Lawrence
Professor, Director Spatial Sciences Center, Ph.D.
Ph.D. 1998, M.S. 1995, Oregon State University; J.D. 1979, Columbia; B.A. 1976 Claremont McKenna College. Teaching and research programs in the use and application of remote sensing, geographic information systems, and spatial technologies in managed and natural ecosytems.
- Holbrook, J., J. Squires, L. Olson, N. Decesara, and R. Lawrence. In press. Understanding and predicting habitat for wildlife conservation: The case of Canada lynx at the range periphery. Ecography.
- McCann, C., K.S. Repasky, M. Morin, R. Lawrence, and S. Powell. In press. A novel histogram based unsupervised classification technique to determine natural classes from biophysically relevant fit parameters to hyperspectral data. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing.
- McCann, C., K.S. Repasky, M. Morin, R. Lawrence, and S. Powell. In press. Using Landsat surface reflectance (LaSRC) data as a reference target for multi-swath hyperspectral data collected over mixed agricultural rangeland areas. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- Young, N., R. Anderson, S. Chignell, A. Vorster, R. Lawrence, and P. Evangelista. 2017. A survival guide to Landsat preprocessing. Ecology 98:920-932.
- Savage, S., R. Lawrence, and J. Squires. 2017. Mapping post-disturbance forest landscape composition with Landsat satellite imagery. Forest Ecology and Management 399:9-23.
- Holbrook, J., J. Squires, L.E. Olson, R. Lawrence, and S. Savage. 2016. Multi-scale habitat relationships of showshoe hares (Lepus americanus) in the Northern Rockies, USA: Implications for forest management. Ecology and Evolution 2016:1-20.
- Garroutte, E., A. Hansen, and R. Lawrence. 2016. Using NDVI and EVI to map spatiotemporal variation in the biomass and quality of forage for migratory elk in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Remote Sensing 8:404.
- Long, J., and R.L. Lawrence. 2016. Mapping Percent tree mortality due to mountain pine beetle damage. Forest Science 62:392-402.
- Savage, S.L., R.L. Lawrence, and J.R. Squires. 2015. Predicting relative species composition within mixed conifer forest pixels using zero-inflated models and Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 171:326-336.
- Lawrence, R.L., and C.J. Moran. 2015. The AmericaView classification methods accuracy comparison project: A rigorous approach for model selection. Remote Sensing of Environment 170:115-120.
- Bellante, G.J., S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, K.S. Repasky, T.A.O. Dougher. 2014. Hyperspectral Detection of a subsurface CO2 Leak in the Presence of Water Stressed Vegetation. PLoS ONE 9(10):e10829.
- Long, J.A., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, L.A. Marshall, and M.C. Greenwood. 2014. Adoption of cropping sequences in northeast Montana: A spatiotemporal analysis. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 197:77-87.
- Long, J.A., R.L. Lawrence, P.R. Miller, and L.A. Marshall. 2014. Changes in Field-Level Cropping Sequences: Indicators of Shifting Agricultural Practices. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 189:11-20.
- Porter, T.F., C. Chen, J.A. Long, R.L. Lawrence, and B.F. Sowell. 2014. Estimating biomass on CRP pastureland: A comparison of remote sensing techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy 66:268-274.
- Olexa, E.M., and R.L. Lawrence. 2014. Performance and effects of land cover type on synthetic surface reflectance data and NDVI estimates for assessment and monitoring of semi-arid rangeland. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 30:30-41.
- Johnson, J.E., J.A. Shaw, R.L. Lawrence, P.W. Nugent, J.A. Hogan, L.M. Dobeck, and L.H. Spangler. 2014. Comparison of long-wave infrared imaging and visible/near-infrared imaging of vegetation for detecting leaking CO2 gas. IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 7:1-7.
- Vsevolozhskaya, O.A., M.A. Greenwood, G.J. Bellante, S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, and K.S. Repasky. 2013. Combining functions and the closure principle for performing follow-up tests in functional analysis of variance. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 67:175-184.
- Long J.A., R.L. Lawrence, M.C. Greenwood, L. Marshall, and P.R. Miller. 2013. Object-oriented crop classification using multitemporal ETM+ SLC-off imagery and random forest. GIScience & Remote Sensing 50:418-436.
- Lawrence, R.L., and J. Jewett. 2013. Remote sensing reveals relationships among whitebark pine, bark beetles and climate variability, pp. 66-67 in R.L. Dodge and R.G. Congalton, Meeting Environmental Challenges with Remote Sensing Imagery, American Geosciences Institute, Alexandria, VA.
- Bellante, G.J., S.L. Powell, R.L. Lawrence, K.S. Repasky, T.A.O. Dougher. 2013. Aerial detection of a simulated CO2 leak from a geologic sequestration site using hyperspectral imagery. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 13:124-137.
- Bioenergy Alliance Network for the Rockies, USDA. 2013-2018. $663,494.
- Mapping Lynx Habitat with Landsat and Radarsat Imagery. USFS. 2012-2017. $480,385.
- StateView Program for the State of Montana. USGS. 2013-2018. $125,000.
- Habitat Use Patterns of Canada Lynx in Spruce-Beetle Damaged Forests. USFS. 2016-2017. $110,000.
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- GPHY 426 - Remote Sensing & Digital Image Processing (Spring)
- GPHY 429/LRES 525 - Applied Remote Sensing (Spring)
- LRES 535 - Techniques of Spatial Analysis (Spring)