Jane M. Mangold
Associate Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. 2004, Land Resources and Environmental Sciences, Montana State University; M.S. 1997, Abused Land Rehabilitation, Montana State University; B.S. Biology with Secondary Education Certification, Iowa State University. Development and dissemination of information about ecologically-based, integrated invasive plant management for range and wildlands. Emphasis on restoration/revegetation of invasive plant-infested landscapes.
- Mangold, J., N. Orloff, H. Parkinson, and M. Halstvedt. 2015. Integrating herbicides and re-seeding to restore rangeland infested by an invasive forb-annual grass complex. Ecological Restoration 33:16-19.
- Ehlert, K.A., J.M. Mangold, and R.E. Engel. 2014. Integrating the herbicide imazapic and the fungal pathogen Pyrenophora semeniperda to control Bromus tectorum. Weed Research 54:418-424.
- Mangold, J., H. Parkinson, C. Duncan, P. Rice, E. Davis, and F. Menalled. 2013. Controlling downy brome (Bromus tectorum) with imazapic on Montana rangeland. Invasive Plant Science and Management. 6:554-558.
- Mangold, J. and A. Lansverk. 2013. Testing control options for Tragopogon dubius on Conservation Reserve Programs lands. Weed Technology 27:509-514.
- Orloff, N., Z.J. Miller, F.D. Menalled, M.E. Burrows, and J.M. Mangold. 2013. Joint impacts of biological and environmental stressors on Bromus tectorum growth. Weed Research 53:192-200.
- Orloff, L.N., J.M. Mangold, and F.D. Menalled. 2013. Role of size and nitrogen in competition between annual and perennial grasses. Invasive Plant Science and Management 6:87-98.
- Taylor, R.V., M.L. Pokorny, J. Mangold, and N. Rudd. 2013. Can a combination of grazing, herbicides, and seeding facilitate succession in old fields? Ecological Restoration 31:141-143.
- Mangold, J. 2012. Ecological restoration using EBIPM. Rangelands 34:39-43.
- Mangold, J.M. 2012. Revegetation: Using Current Technologies and Ecological Knowledge to Manage Site Availability, Species Availability, and Species Performance, in Invasive Plant Ecology and Management: Linking Processes to Practice, [Eds. Thomas Monaco and Roger Sheley]. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. Pp. 176-195.
- Rinella, M.J., J.M. Mangold, E.K. Espeland, R.L. Sheley, and J.S. Jacobs. 2012. Long term dynamics of seeded plants in invaded grasslands. Ecological Applications 22:1320-1329.
- Fansler, V.A. and J.M. Mangold. 2011. Restoring native plants to crested wheatgrass stands. Restoration Ecology 19:16-23.
- Pokorny, M.L., J.M. Mangold, K. Denny, and J. Hafer. 2010. Managing spotted knapweed (Centaurea biebersteinii) infested rangeland after wildfire. Invasive Plant Science and Management 3:183-189.
- Pokorny, M.L. and J.M. Mangold. 2009. Converting pasture land to native-plant-dominated grassland: a case study (Montana). Ecological Restoration 27:250-253.
- James, J.J., J.M. Mangold, and R.L. Sheley. 2009. Root plasticity of native and invasive Great Basin species in response to soil nitrogen heterogeneity. Plant Ecology 202:211-220.
- Mangold, J.M. and R.L. Sheley. 2008. Controlling performance of bluebunch wheatgrass and spotted knapweed using nitrogen and sucrose amendments. Western North American Naturalist 68(2):129-137.
- Young, K. and J. Mangold. 2008. Medusahead outperforms squirreltail through interference and growth rate. Invasive Plant Science and Management 1:73-81.
- Mangold, J.M., J.J. James, and R.L. Sheley. 2007. Presence of soil surface depressions increases water uptake by native grass seeds. Ecological Restoration 25(4):278-279.
- Mangold, J.M., C.L. Poulsen, and M.F. Carpinelli. 2007. Revegetating Russian knapweed (Acroptilon repens) infestations using morphologically diverse species and seedbed preparation. Rangeland Ecology and Management 60:378-385.
- Pokorny, M.L. and J.M. Krueger-Mangold. 2007. Evaluating the success of Montana’s Dyer’s Woad (Isatis tinctoria) Cooperative Eradication Program. Weed Technology 21:262-269.
- Mangold, J. and R. Sheley. 2007. Effect of soil texture, watering frequency, and a hydrogel on the emergence and survival of coated versus uncoated crested wheatgrass seeds. Ecological Restoration 25:6-11.
- Krueger-Mangold, J., R. Sheley, and R. Engel. 2006. Can R*s predict invasion in semi-arid grasslands? Biological Invasions 8:1343-1354.
- Sheley, R.L., J.M. Mangold, and J.L. Anderson. 2006. Potential for successional theory to guide restoration of invasive-plant-dominated rangeland. Ecological Monographs 76(3):365-379.
- Krueger-Mangold, J., R. Sheley, and T. Svejcar. 2006. Toward ecologically-based invasive plant management on rangeland. Weed Science 54:597-605.
- Krueger-Mangold, J., R. Sheley, R. Engel, J. Jacobsen, T. Svejcar, and C. Zabinski. 2004. Identification of the limiting resource within a semi-arid plant association. Journal of Arid Environments 58:309-320.
- Sheley, R.L. and J. Krueger-Mangold. 2003. Principles for restoring invasive plant-infested rangeland. Weed Science 51:260-265.
- Krueger-Mangold, J., R.L. Sheley, and B.D. Roos. 2002. Maintaining plant community diversity in a waterfowl production area by controlling Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) using glyphosate. Weed Technology 16:457-463.