Fabian D. Menalled
Ph.D. 1996, University of Massachusetts; B.S. 1985, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Cropland Weed Specialist. Research and extension focused on integrated management of agricultural weeds. Understanding the mechanisms conditioning the abundance and distribution of annual and perennial weeds in agricultural systems. Weed population and community dynamics, crop-weed competition, herbicide resistance, and weed management in conventional and alternative cropping systems.
- McKenzie, S., H. Goosey, K. M. O’Neill, and F. Menalled. 2016. Integrating livestock for cover crop termination in horticultural vegetable production: Impacts on weed and ground beetle (Coleoptera: carabidae) communities. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 218: 141-149.
- Keith, B, E. Lehnhoff, E. Burn, F. Menalled, and W. Dyer. 2016. Characterization of Avena fatua L. populations with resistance to multiple herbicide mechanisms of action. Weed Research 55:621-630.
- Miller, Z. , E. Lehnhoff, F. Menalled and M Burrows. 2016. Effects of soil nitrogen and atmospheric carbon dioxide on Wheat streak mosaic virus and its vector (Aceria tosichella Kiefer). Plant Disease 99:1803-1807.
- Menalled, F. 2015. Lentil Underground – Renegade Farmers and the Future of Food in America by Liz Carlisle. Invited review. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems 39:1172-1174.
- Lehnhoff, E., Z. Miller, F. Menalled, D. Ito, and M. Burrows. 2015. Wheat and barley susceptibility and tolerance to multiple isolates of Wheat streak mosaic virus. Plant Disease 99:1383-1389.
- Goosey, H.B, S. C. McKenzie, M. G. Rolson, K. M. O’Neill, and F. Menalled. 2015. Impacts of contrasting alfalfa (Medicago sativa) production systems on the drivers of carabid beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) community dynamics. Environmental Entomology 44:1052-1064.
- Barroso, J., Z. Miller, E. Lehnhoff, P. Hatfield, and F. Menalled. 2015. Impacts of cropping system and management practices on the assembly of weed communities. Weed Research 55:426-435.
- Miller, Z. and F. Menalled. 2015. Impact of species identity and phylogenetic relatedness on biologically-mediated plant-soil feedbacks in a low and a high intensity agroecosystem. Plant and Soil 389: 171-183.
- Keren, I., F. Menalled, D. Weaver, and J. Robison-Cox. 2015. Interacting agricultural pest management practices and their effect on crop yield: Application of a Bayesian decision theory approach to the joint management of Bromus tectorum and Cephus cinctus. PLOS ONE DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0118111
- Miller, Z.; F. Menalled, U.M. Sainju, A.W. Lenssen, and P.G. Hatfield. 2015. Integrating sheep grazing into cereal-based crop rotations: Spring wheat yields and weed communities. Agronomy Journal 107: 104-112.
- Orloff, L., J. Mangold, and F. Menalled. 2015. Site-specific effects of exotic annual grass control on integrated with revegetation. Ecological Restoration 33:147-155.
- Targeted grazing to reduce tillage in organic dryland systems: Environmental, ecological, and economic assessment of reintegrating animal and crop production. USDA - OREI. Menalled, F., P. Carr, P. Hatfield, P. Miller, D. Weaver, M. Burrows, R. Engle, A. Bekkerman, J. Boles, Z. Miller, R. Quinn, L. Burkle, K. O’Neill, G. Gramig, and K. Ringwall. $1,499,815
- Integrated management of mite-transmitted cereal viruses. USDA – PMAP. Burrows, M., F. Menallled, Z. Miller, R. Peterson, A. Bekkerman and B. Jacobsen. $213,658
- Optimizing efficacy of downy brome (Bromus tectorum) biocontrol in crops and rangelands: integration and implementation. USDA - WRIPM. Menalled, F., Z. Miller, J. Mangold, and A. Dyer. $98,600
- A predictive model to increase adoption of IPM of a mite-virus disease complex in wheat. USDA – AFRI Food Security. Hein, G., S. Wegulo, J. Bradshaw, A. Zygielbaum, D. Namuth-Covert, D. Lyon, D., Golick, C. Rush, F., Workneh, M. Burrows, I. Grimberg, F. Menalled, Z. Miller, E. DeWolf, F. Epplin, R. Hunger, K. Kelsey, S. Tatineni, R. French, R. Graybosch, N. Tisserat. $3,375,000. (Total allocated to MSU: $815,000).
- Molecular, physiological, and ecological characterization of multiple herbicide resistance in Avena fatua. USDA – AFRI Foundational Program. Dyer, W., F. Menalled, B. Maxwell, B. Keith, E. Lehnhoff, and R.
- Reducing tillage intensity in organic crop systems: ecological and economic impacts of targeted sheep grazing on cover crops and weed management, soil health, carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions organic transition. USDA – Organic Transition Programs. Hatfield, P., F. Menalled, U. Sainju, P. Miller, A. Bekkerman, P. Lachapelle, Z. Miller, and A. Lenssen. $742,907
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver a research-based extension program on integrated weed management in agricultural settings