Assistant Professor, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Hydrology 2009, Colorado School of Mines; M.S. Biology 2004, Virginia Tech; B.S. Electrical Engineering 1993, The Ohio State University. Role of water movement in the structure and function of watershed ecosystems; integration of biogeochemical and hydrologic models; inference of watershed ecosystem behavior from spatially distributed stream water quality; influence of valley floor hydrologic systems on whole-watershed behavior and on stream-riparian ecosystem behavior.
Directs the Montana State University Watershed Hydrology Lab.
Select Recent Publications (full Google Scholar list)
- Payn, R. A., A. M. Helton, G. C. Poole, C. Izurieta, A. J. Burgin, E. S. Bernhardt. 2014. A generalized optimization model of microbially driven aquatic biogeochemistry based on thermodynamic, kinetic, and stoichiometric theory. Ecological Modelling 294, 1-18.
- Ward, A. S., R. A. Payn, M. N. Gooseff, B. L. McGlynn, K. E. Bencala, C. A. Kelleher, S. M. Wondzell, and T. Wagener. 2013. Variations in surface water - ground water interactions along a headwater mountain stream: comparisons between transient storage and water balance analyses. Water Resources Research 49(6), 3359-3374.
- Helton, A. M., G. C. Poole, R. A. Payn, C. Izurieta, J. A. Stanford. 2014. Relative influences of the river channel, floodplain surface, and alluvial aquifer on simulated hydrologic residence time in a montane river floodplain. Geomorphology 205, 17-26.
- Izurieta, C., G. C. Poole, R. A. Payn, I. Griffith, R. Nix, A. Helton, E. Bernhardt, A. J. Burgin. 2012. Development and application of a simulation environment (NEO) for integrating empirical and computational investigations of system-level complexity. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Science and Applications (IEEE), doi:10.1109/ICISA.2012.6220928.
- Helton, A. M., G. C. Poole, R. A. Payn, C. Izurieta, and J. Stanford. 2012. Scaling flow path processes to fluvial landscapes: An integrated field and model assessment of temperature and dissolved oxygen dynamics in a river-floodplain-aquifer system. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences 117, G00N14, doi:10.1029/2012JG002025
- Payn, R. A., M. N. Gooseff, B. L. McGlynn, K. E. Bencala, S. M. Wondzell. 2012. Exploring changes in the spatial distribution of stream baseflow generation during a seasonal recession. Water Resources Research 48, W04519, doi:10.1029/2011WR011552.
- Engel, A. S., D. B. Meisinger, M. L. Porter, R. A. Payn, M. Schmid, L. A. Stern, K. H. Schleifer, and N. M. Lee. 2010. Linking phylogenetic and functional diversity to nutrient spiraling in microbial mats from Lower Kane Cave (USA). The International Society of Microbial Ecology Journal, 4(1), 98-110.