Ph.D. 1990, McGill University, Canada; B.S. 1984, Dalhousie University, Canada. Chemical ecology and behavior, biological control, plant-insect interactions, and spatial ecology. Research includes plant and insect semiochemical interactions, biological control of insects and weeds in agricultural and rangeland communities, host plant resistance, and stored-product entomology.
- Beres, B. L, B. D. Hill, H. A. Cárcamo, J. J. Knodel, D. K. Weaver, and R. D. Cuthbert. 2017. A neural network model to predict wheat stem sawfly cutting in solid-stemmed wheat cultivars. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 97: 329-336.
- Varella, A. C., L. E. Talbert, R. K. D. Peterson, J. D. Sherman, M. L Hofland, N. K Blake, J. M. Martin, and D. K. Weaver. 2017. Host plant quantitative trait loci affect specific sequences in oviposition by a stem-mining insect. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 130: 187-197.
- Buteler, M., P. Fernandez, T. Stadler, B. Yossen, D. K. Weaver and M. Lozada. 2018. Heptyl butyrate, a putative pheromone involved in social communication of Vespula germanica wasps. Insectes Sociaux 65: 95-101.
- Varella, A. C., L. E. Talbert, B. B. Achhami, N. K. Blake, M. L. Hofland, J. D. Sherman, P. F. Lamb, G. V. P. Reddy, and D. K. Weaver. 2018. Characterization of resistance to Cephus cinctus (Hymenoptera: Cephidae) in barley germplasm. Journal of Economic Entomology 111: 923-930.
- Biyiklioglu, S., B. Alptekin, B. A. Akpinar, A. C. Varella, M. L. Hofland, D. K. Weaver, B. Bothner, and H. Budak. 2018. A large-scale multiomics analysis of wheat stem solidness and the wheat stem sawfly feeding response, and syntenic associations in barley, Brachypodium, and rice. Functional & Integrative Genomics 18: 241-259.
- Gaffke, A. M., S. E. Sing, T. L. Dudley, D. W. Bean, J. A. Russak, A. Mafra‐Neto, P. A. Grieco, R. K. D. Peterson, D. K. Weaver. 2018. Semiochemicals to enhance herbivory by Diorhabda carinulata aggregations in saltcedar (Tamarix spp.) infestations. Pest Management Science 74: 1494-1503.
- Portman, S. L., S. T Jaronski, D. K. Weaver, G.V.P Reddy. 2018. Advancing biological control of the wheat stem sawfly: New strategies in a 100-yr struggle to manage a costly pest in the Northern Great Plains. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 111: 85-91.
- Toševski, I., S. E. Sing, R. De Clerck‐Floate, A. McClay, D. K. Weaver, M. Schwarzländer, O. Krstić, J. Jović and A. Gassmann. 2018. Twenty‐five years after: Post‐introduction association of Mecinus janthinus s.l. with invasive host toadflaxes Linaria vulgaris and Linaria dalmatica in North America. Annals of Applied Biology 173: 16-34.
- Bekkerman, A. and D. K. Weaver. 2018. Modeling joint dependence of managed ecosystems pests: The case of the wheat stem sawfly. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 43: 172-194.
Diversifying Cropping Systems through Cover Crops and Targeted Grazing: Impacts on Plant-Microbe-Insect Interactions, Yield and Economic Returns. USDA. 2018 - 2021. $499,948. Co-I.
Mass Rearing, Release, and Monitoring of the Northern Tamarisk Leaf Beetle (Diorhabda carinulata Desbrochers) a Biological Control Agent for Saltcedar. MT Noxious Weed Trust Fund. 2018 -2019. $34,352. PI.
IPM of Wheat Stem Sawfly. MT Wheat and Barley Committee. January - December, 2018. $278,000. PI.
New Genes for Resistance to Wheat Stem Sawfly. USDA. 2013 - 2018. $500,000. Co-I
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- AGSC 401 – Integrated Pest Management (Fall, each year)
- ENTO 520 – Insect Physiology (Fall, Even years)