Ph.D. 1991, University of Minnesota; B.A. 1983, College of St. Benedict, Minnesota. Teaching focus on restoration ecology and plant and soil ecology. Research interests in below-ground plant ecology, invasive species biology, restoration ecology, and sustainable agriculture with an emphasis on soil biota.
- O’Dea, J.K., C.A. Jones, C.A. Zabinski, P.R. Miller, I.N.Keren. 2015. Legume, cropping intesnity, and N-fertilization effects on soil attributes and processes from an eight-year-old semiarid wheat system. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 0.1007/s10705-015-9687-4.
- Zabinski, C. and R. Bunn. 2014. Function of mycorrhizae in extreme environments, pp. 201-214, In Zakaria M. Solaiman, Lynette K. Abbott and Ajit K.Varma [eds.], Mycorrhizal Fungi: Use in Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Springer Soil Biology Series.
- Meadow, J., and C. Zabinski. 2012. Spatial heterogeneity of eukaryotic microbial communities in an unstudied geothermal diatomaceous biological soil crust: Yellowstone National Park, WY, USA. FEMS Microbiology. 82: 182-191.
- DeLuca, T. and C. Zabinski. 2011. Prairie ecosystems and the carbon problem. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 9: 407-413.
- Hoeksema, J., V. Chaudhary, C. Gehring, N. Johnson, J. Karst, R. Koide, A. Pringle, C. Zabinski, J. Bever, J. Moore, G. Wilson, J. Klironomos, John; J. Umbanhowar. 2010. A meta-analysis of context dependency in plant response to mycorrhizal fungi. Ecology Letters. 13: 394-407.
- Evaluations of winter and spring wheat performance and associated soil health measurements following cover crop cocktails, Montana Wheat and Barley Association, with Darrin Boss, Perry Miller, Peggy Lamb, and Clain Jones.
- “Using cover crop mixtures to improve soil health in low rainfall areas of the northern Plains”, Western SARE (Sustainable Agriculture Research and Extension), with Perry Miller and Clain Jones, 2011-2015
- “Nutritional value of locally grown vegetables: Determining management effects and marketing potential”, Montana Department of Agriculture Specialty Crop Grant, with Bruce Maxwell and Karin Neff, 2010-2013
Current Instructional Responsibilities
- ENSC 499 - LRES Capstone
- ENSC 461 - Restoration Ecology (Fall)
- LRES 561 - BelowGround Plant Ecology (Spring, odd years)