- Bachelor's degree in related field or a strong science background
- undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- Official GRE combined score of greater than 300.
- show significant promise for success in a graduate program
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (paper-based test), 231 (computer-based test), and 80 (internet-based test)--required only for international students whose native language is not English
Meeting the minimum department standards does not ensure admission to the program. The minimum GPA and GRE scores are not absolute thresholds. Admission to Montana State University graduate programs is based on a number of factors, including prior academic and professional experience and the personal statement.
MSU must receive your application materials, including all transcripts, by:
- June 15 for fall semester
- November 1 for spring semester
- March 1 for summer semester
How to Apply
- Apply to MSU as a graduate student:
- Pay the one-time application fee of $60
- Online Application:
- Under the "Admission Type Applying For" section, select Master's degree
- Next, under "Program Selection," select the Master of Science in Land Resources Environmental Science Online
- You will be asked to upload the following information:
- Statement of Purpose -- one page narrative describing your preparation for the program, academic interests, and professional goals. The most useful statements are those that present an intellectual portrait of the applicant, an account of the issues the applicant now finds engaging, and the program of study the candidate envisions for him/herself at MSU.
- The names, e-mails, and contact information for 3 recommenders. The system will contact the recommenders and ask them to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Official GRE score. Suggested minimum is 300 total.
- TOEFL scores -- required for international students whose native language is not English.
- Submit the following to Marni Rolston/ LREO program manager, 334 Leon Johnson Hall, PO Box 173120, Bozeman MT 59717-3120.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
For More Information
- Scott Powell, Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (406) 994-5017
- Marni Rolston, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org (406) 994-2029
- Other Montana State Online Degree and Certificate Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions concerning online courses
- MSU Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
- Is online learning right for you? Find out with our interactive quiz.