Manure Nutrient Management
Manure can be a valuable on-farm nutrient source adding organic matter and mobile nutrients to increase soil fertility and build soil structure. Precautions regarding manure application and manure rates need to be considered before applying. The articles and links on this page address these management issues.
- Animal Manure Management sponsored by Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center
- Using Manure as Fertilizer Extension document 0184
Minimizing Pesticide Contaminated Soil Around the Home and Garden. MSU MontGuide on reducing prevalence of contaminated soil amendments.
- Manure vs Compost vs Commercial Fertilizer presentation (pdf)
- Managing Nitrate and Bacteria in Runoff from Livestock Confinement Areas with Vegetative Filter Strips (research article abstract)
- Water Quality and Your Livestock Facilities Extension article
- Clean Water Act brings new AFO/CAFO definitions and regulations Extension article
- NRCS Nutrient Management Page
- NRCS Animal Feeding Operations
- NRCS Animal Waste Management
- Manure Nutrient Availability Calculator from the Agronomy Dpt. at Purdue University