- Bachelor's degree in related field or a strong science background
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- GRE scores will be waived for all Spring 2021 applicants because the GRE testing service, ETS, has experienced difficulties administering this test. (The LRES department is currently evaluating whether to permanently waive (or make optional) the GRE requirement for applications submitted after the Spring 2021 term. A decision on this matter will be posted by September 30, 2020.)
- Show significant promise for success in a graduate program
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (paper-based test), 231 (computer-based test), and 80 (internet-based test)--required only for international students whose native language is not English
Meeting the minimum department standards does not ensure admission to the program. The minimum GPA and GRE scores are not absolute thresholds. Admission to Montana State University graduate programs is based on a number of factors, including prior academic and professional experience and the personal statement.
MSU must receive your application materials, including all transcripts, by:
- July 1 for fall semester
- December 1 for spring semester
- April 1 for summer semester
How to Apply
- Apply to MSU as a graduate student:
- Pay the one-time application fee of $60
- Online Application:
- Under the "Admission Type Applying For" section, select Master's degree
- Next, under "Program Selection," select the Master of Science in Land Resources Environmental Science Online
- You will be asked to upload the following information:
- Statement of Purpose -- one page narrative describing your preparation for the program, academic interests, and professional goals. The most useful statements are those that present an intellectual portrait of the applicant, an account of the issues the applicant now finds engaging, and the program of study the candidate envisions for him/herself at MSU.
- The names, e-mails, and contact information for 3 recommenders. The system will contact the recommenders and ask them to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Official GRE score. Suggested minimum is 300 total. GRE scores are waived for Spring 2021 applicants.
- TOEFL scores -- required for international students whose native language is not English.
- Submit the following to Marni Rolston/ LREO program manager, 334 Leon Johnson Hall, PO Box 173120, Bozeman MT 59717-3120.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
For More Information
- Scott Powell, Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 994-5017
- Marni Rolston, Program Manager, at email@example.com (406) 994-2029
- Other Montana State Online Degree and Certificate Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions concerning online courses
- MSU Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
- Is online learning right for you? Find out with our interactive quiz.