- Bachelor's degree in a science field or a strong science background. This degree must be completed before an application can be submitted.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- Show significant promise for success in a graduate program
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (paper-based test), 231 (computer-based test), and 80 (internet-based test)--required only for international students whose native language is not English
Meeting the minimum department standards does not ensure admission to the program. The minimum GPA is not an absolute threshold. Admission to Montana State University graduate programs is based on a number of factors, including prior academic and professional experience and your personal statement.
MSU must receive all application materials, including official transcripts, by:
- June 15 for fall semester
- November 1 for spring semester
- April 1 for summer semester
After you've applied, please watch the progress of your application to make sure all documents, including letters of recommendation and official transcripts, have been uploaded before the deadline.
Applications that are not complete by the deadline will automatically be deferred to the following term (spring, summer or fall).
How to Apply
- Apply to MSU as a graduate student:
- Pay the one-time application fee of $60
- Online Application:
- Under the "Admission Type Applying For" section, select Master's degree
- Next, under "Program Selection," select the Master of Science in Land Resources Environmental Science Online
- You will be asked to upload the following information:
- Statement of Purpose -- one page narrative describing your preparation for the program, academic interests, and professional goals. The most useful statements are those that present an intellectual portrait of the applicant, an account of the issues the applicant now finds engaging, and the program of study the candidate envisions for him/herself at MSU.
- The names, e-mails, and contact information for 3 recommenders. The system will contact the recommenders and ask them to upload a letter of recommendation. Letters must be submitted by the application deadline.
- TOEFL scores -- required for international students whose native language is not English.
- Submit the following to Marni Rolston/ LREO program manager, 334 Leon Johnson Hall, PO Box 173120, Bozeman MT 59717-3120.
- Official transcripts sent directly from all post-secondary institutions. These official transcripts must be sent to the address above, or sent electronically to email@example.com.
For More Information
- Scott Powell, Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 994-5017
- Marni Rolston, Program Manager, at email@example.com (406) 994-2029
- Other Montana State Online Degree and Certificate Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions concerning online courses
- MSU Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
- Is online learning right for you? Find out with our interactive quiz.