- Professional M.S. in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences (fully online)
The online Professional M.S. program in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences is designed to provide outstanding graduate training opportunities across a substantial breadth of disciplinary interests. Programs are specifically adapted to each graduate student and often address processes at multiple scales through well-integrated, multi-disciplinary efforts. Student projects are directed toward improving understanding of principles and processes important to land resources and environmental sciences, with opportunities for direct ties to management.
Understanding is developed through targeted advanced coursework tailored to the student. Professional papers may involve, but are not limited to, topics such as watershed hydrology, integrated management of invasive plant species, soil nutrient management, land reclamation, restoration ecology, fluvial systems ecology and restoration, riparian ecology, microbial ecology of natural systems, chemical fate and transport, water quality, crop diversification, precision agriculture, environmental risk assessment, remote sensing and GIS applications, and climate variability.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or a strong science background
- undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- show significant promise for success in a graduate program
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (paper-based test), 231 (computer-based test), and 80 (internet-based test)--required only for international students whose native language is not English
Meeting the minimum department standards does not ensure admission to the program. The minimum GPA is not an absolute threshold. However, for applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 2.75, it will be recommended that they first apply to MSU for admission as a non-degree online graduate student, take two courses (6 credits) offered by the program and get a grade of B or better, then apply to the program. If they are admitted into the program, the course credits can be transferred. Admission to Montana State University graduate programs is based on a number of factors, including prior academic and professional experience and the personal statement.
GRE scores are NOT required for applicants in the Professional MS in LRES program. However, if applicants have already taken this test and would like to share their scores, they are free to upload a copy as part of their application.
How to Apply
Application deadlines to the online Professional MS in LRES program are slightly different than applications to other LRES graduate programs.
|Entry Semester||Domestic Applications
(U.S. and Canada)
|Fall||June 15||May 1|
|Spring||November 1||October 1|
|Summer||April 1||February 1|
|Application and payment of a non-refundable application fee of $60.00||The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.|
|Statement of Purpose||This statement consists of a one-page narrative outlining your goals and interests in obtaining an online Professional MS in the LRES department.|
|Three (3) letters of recommendation||During this online process, applicants will be asked to provide information about their references. The electronic process will prompt each reference to submit a signed reference letter. Letters should be written by people who are able to judge your ability to succeed in graduate school, e.g., your undergraduate professors, an advisor or supervisor from an internship/job.|
|Official transcripts from all universities attended||Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded by the student during the online process; however, MSU must receive official transcripts directly from university (s) attended. Previous graduates of MSU-Bozeman do not need to submit transcripts.|
A minimum of 30 credits:
- 27 credits course work from 400/500 level courses
- 3 credits professional paper requirement
For More Information
- Scott Powell, Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 994-5017
- Marni Rolston, Program Manager, at email@example.com or (406) 994-2029
- Online program allows student to earn master's degree while living, working in Helena, MT
- MSU online program in environmental sciences delivers access to students in wild places
- Other Montana State Online Degree and Certificate Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions concerning online courses
- MSU Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
- Is online learning right for you? Find out with our interactive quiz.